The Adoption Process
1. Fill out an adoption application and submit a nonrefundable $25 dollar adoption application fee via the Paypal button on our website & FaceBook page or by mailing a check to Horse North Rescue, PO Box 76 Kingsley, MI 49649
2. Schedule a Meet and Greet by calling 231-645-4674, leaving your name and phone number and date & time preferred. Meet and Greets without an application submitted occur the first and third Thursdays of every month from 3-6pm and on the first and third Saturday of every month from 10a-1pm. NOTE: This is a very basic 30 minute time to interact with the horse.
3. If your application and fee have been submitted, we allow for a 60 minute visit with the prospective horse that interests you and more extensive handling of the horse will be permitted. Again, call 231-645-4674 to set up that appointment by leaving your name, phone number and our Barn Manager will call you back to get it scheduled.
4. Should you be interested in a horse that is not currently available for adoption, we encourage you to submit an application so we can get the preliminary site visit and paperwork started. All horses will be given at least two weeks advertised as "available" before the selection process begins.
5. This application will expire after two years from date of signature or adoption of a HNR horse or whichever comes first.
6. The dedicated volunteers at HNR will conduct a site visit, check on the references you provide and discuss further with you whether that particular horse will be the most suitable for your family.
Please note: All HNR horses are adopted out on a 'right to first refusal contract' meaning if you cannot or should no longer wish to own the horse, HNR must be contacted prior to the horse being advertised or transferred to another home.
Lilly is a 14.1H Arab and approximately 10yo, that came to us as an Animal Control seizure. She arrived underweight and very skiddish. Lilly needs a home with an experienced, patient adopter. She is very willing to learn once she trusts you. Lilly does have mild heaves and does better on square bales than round bales. Lilly is standing better for the farrier now, loves her stall and grooming time. She is UTD on teeth and vaccinations and ready for a new chapter to her life. Lilly has started consistent groundwork and has had a couple of quiet rides in the roundpen! She is a quick learner and is available for $200 to the right home.
Ivy is a gorgeous, 20 yo, registered Welsh Cobb standing at 14 hands. She is very healthy and responds extremely well to natural horsemanship training. She has been saddled, but not yet ridden. Ivy is considered a Project Horse and is available for $350. As her training advances, her price will go up so make an appointment today to visit with this pretty Bay.
Trader is our newest intake who was dropped off at an elderly couple's residence from a family member that could no longer care for him. The couple soon realized his care was beyond their capability, so we were contacted. Trader will be requiring months of nutritious groceries, farrier, dental, and veterinary appointments to get current on his vaccinations. This diamond-in-the-rough is 17yo and an Arabian. He has a very kind eye, the beginnings of a healthy appetite and a history of being a well-trained horse we are hearing. Trader is not yet available for adoption, however, if you would like to contribute to his long-term care, please consider donating via our Paypal button or mailing in a check.