The Adoption Process
1. Fill out an adoption application and submit a nonrefundable $25 dollar adoption application fee via the Paypal button on our website & FaceBook page or by mailing a check to Horse North Rescue, PO Box 76 Kingsley, MI 49649
2. Schedule a Meet and Greet by calling 231-645-4674, leaving your name and phone number and date & time preferred. Meet and Greets without an application submitted occur the first and third Thursdays of every month from 3-6pm and on the first and third Saturday of every month from 10a-1pm. NOTE: This is a very basic 30 minute time to interact with the horse.
3. If your application and fee have been submitted, we allow for a 60 minute visit with the prospective horse that interests you and more extensive handling of the horse will be permitted. Again, call 231-645-4674 to set up that appointment by leaving your name, phone number and our Barn Manager will call you back to get it scheduled.
4. Should you be interested in a horse that is not currently available for adoption, we encourage you to submit an application so we can get the preliminary site visit and paperwork started. All horses will be given at least two weeks advertised as "available" before the selection process begins.
5. This application will expire after two years from date of signature or adoption of a HNR horse or whichever comes first.
6. The dedicated volunteers at HNR will conduct a site visit, check on the references you provide and discuss further with you whether that particular horse will be the most suitable for your family.
Please note: All HNR horses are adopted out on a 'right to first refusal contract' meaning if you cannot or should no longer wish to own the horse, HNR must be contacted prior to the horse being advertised or transferred to another home.
Lilly is a 14.1H Arab and approximately 12yo, that came to us as an Animal Control seizure. She arrived underweight and very skiddish. Lilly has since blossomed into a more confident horse and would love to have daily interaction and training. Lilly does have mild heaves and does better on square bales than round bales. She is currently on Oxy-Gen and Immunize some supplements to aid her respiratory system and we are seeing positive results. She is UTD on teeth and vaccinations and ready for a new chapter to her life. Lilly has started consistent groundwork and has had a couple of quiet rides in the roundpen! She is a quick learner and is available for $350 to the right home.
Ivy is a gorgeous, 20 yo, registered Welsh Cobb standing at 14 hands. She is very healthy and responds extremely well to natural horsemanship training. Ivy is an in-your-pocket horse once she developes a relationship with you. She has been saddled, but not yet ridden. Ivy is considered a Project Horse and is available for $500.
Trader is making some great progress on his rehabilitation and weight gain. He is a lively fellow with bright eyes and a fondness of his best girl, Ivy. This handsome gelding is a 17 year old Arabian that stands about 14.3 hands. Trader still needs to gain more weight, and undergo a training assessment before he will be ready for placement, so follow us on Facebook and this page for additonal future updates.
Bonnie is a 14 year old sorrel-paint mini that is the mother of Mae. She is a very sweet gal standing at 34". She would love further training to maybe pull a cart or give a ride to a very young child in the future. Bonnie is UTD on vaccinations, Coggins, Farrier, and had a much needed dental float. Bonnie comes with her winter jacket and a $350 adoption fee.
This cute little sorrel-paint mini has one blue eye and is a 4 year old. Mae stands at about 34" and would love to have further training to maybe pull a cart or take a very young child for a ride. She is UTD on vaccinations, Coggins, Farrier, and dental. Her adoption fee is $350 and she comes with her winter jacket.
This handsome Quarter horse has done a wonderful job of gaining weight and his top-line is filling out nicely. Charlie is about 16.1H and is in his mid-20's based on teeth. He is doing wonderful with his ground training and all indications are he will do be fine under saddle once the weather cooperates for better footing. If you have been looking for kind soul to be your friend or decorate your pasture, this gelding fits the bill. Charlie is available for adoption for $500.
This adorable 7 year old Hackney/Cross mare is looking for a home! We were told she is not broke to ride/drive, so the training to date has been of refreshing her ground manners and acceptance of a saddle pad and eventually a saddle. Angel is very friendly, loves attention, leads well, can back and yields her hindquarters on touch request. We have not sticked her but estimate her to be around 13.1 hands tall. Angel is up-to-date on all her vaccinations, Coggins, feet trims, and dental float. She is considered a Project horse requiring further training unless you are looking for a pasture pal. Angel is available for adoption for $500 and a completed adoption agreement.
Cherokee (aka. Kee)
This sweet little guy just arrived at the Rescue as an owner surrender due to an impending move and no place to keep him. Kee is a Gypsy Vanner/Rocky Mountain cross who will turn two in June. This gelding has had some ground work and will be undergoing more in the coming months. Stay tuned for when he will be available for adoption.